Welcome to our first customer feature. Introducing Dylan's 180sx.
Dylan is a good friend who was recently caught the drift bug and turned up at the garage one day with this freshly imported 180sx.
While it didn't land in the best state, we couldn't think of a more perfect first drift car. Under the hood the SR20DET is factory power wise, but with all the essential add-ons already completed in Japan - alloy radiator, intercooler, clutch, etc. The perfect base.
One thing we should have done, was taken a photo of the engine bay before we got started. It wasn't a good sight. Dylan obviously wasn't wanting a full rebuild being his first drift car, so we quickly got started tidying everything up and fixing any rough jobs from it's Japanese past.
First up was the intercooler setup. We shifted the alloy radiator back from it's stock position and parallel mounted a custom end tanked intercooler nice and snug up front.
Next the catch can setup was in desperate need of attention. We ditched the old setup and fabricated up this catch tank/radiator overflow unit:
With AN fittings added to the engine cover and black lines to finish the setup off.
After a few more little jobs it still isn't the flashest looking engine bay out there, but it's a huge improvement over what it came into the country looking like and a great base to work on.
We then added our full 555 setup, consisting of; knuckles, lower arms, tie rods and relocated steering rack.
Once that was in, we chucked it on the alignment machine and got everything pointing to where it should be.
With the engine, suspension and steering sorted, next we got busy improving the outside. Here's a sneak peak of whats coming in part 2.